[MEncoder-users] MENCODER Hard Locks System - FC14x86

Bill McClintock bill.mcclintock at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 11:33:14 CET 2011

Its interesting that this hardware is my home server that runs 24/7 for
everything else in the house.  Everything was good until I put fc14x86
on it.

Something interesting to note also as I forgot until this AM.  I tried
updating mplayer/mencoder on the fc6x86 build manually and oddly enough
I was getting random lockups.  I never put it together until just now.
I just assumed that I had library issues and gave up. and went in for
the full rebuild.  The reason I pushed the rebuild was 1 fc6 was way
beyond EOL but 2 the version of mencoder didn't handle flash video types
well and aborted.  So time to upgrade.

Interesting also is I have migrated most of the script to using the
latest SVN of HandbrakeCLI and it seems to work OK for about 6 hours.
To be honest I like mencoder better but...  It did lock up last night
but surprisingly,(I left top running remotely via putty hopefully to get
a glimpse at what dies), mplayer was at the top.  The only command left
in the script that uses mplayer is one that scrapes the VIDEO: line so I
can get some basic info.  Probably not the best idea but seemed to work
for years...

mplayer -ao null -vo null <file.mpg> 2>/dev/null | grep "VIDEO:"

I would get something along the lines...VIDEO:  MPEG2  1280x720  (aspect
3)  59.940 fps  38810.4 kbps (4851.3 kbyte/s)...which I scraped all
things relevant to build the custom command line.

Anyway, since I saw the mplayer command in top I suspected again the
something in the mplayer suite.  I added -frames 0 to the line to get it
to stop immediately as I also noticed in the top freeze frame that
HandbrakeCLI started also but at a very small time slice 0:00.05 where
as mplayer was going for 0:00.96.  I suspect that mplayer was finishing
while HandbrakeCLI was starting up.

Anyway its off to the races again and the script is kicked off again. It
compressed 6 before it gave up the ghost.  It's cron has been off for a
while as I get time to decipher what's going on so there is a huge backlog.

To answer your last statements...SD and HD content create the same temps
53c as the Athlon is really slow so both push 100% for the duration of
the transcode.  I'll try mdb=1 / 2 if I move back to mencoder.  You
mentioned my command line is suboptimal.  Given the command line below
do you have a suggestion for a more optimal one?  All I am really
looking for is a way to get the streams down to a reasonable size.
Faster the better.  I log compression ratios in a file and they average
from 23-27 percent of original size.  This is good as 40GB HD streams
eat a lot of space vs. 10-12GB.

Again thanks for the insight.