[MEncoder-users] encoding to mpg

Olive not0read0765 at yopmail.com
Tue Oct 12 23:33:27 CEST 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 18:17:13 -0300
Albert Scholtalbers <compuvision.sr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Olive,
>
> Why don't you use FFmpeg? My experience is that you only need
> Mencoder if you have .ts recordings. Otherwise FFmpeg is more easy
> and has more examples. If you use Windows give WinFF a try, it is
> FFmpeg with a GUI Basic video essentials is very usefull to determine
> what you realy want as there are many options like:
> - Frame rate
> - Resolution
> - Aspect ratio
> - Pixel ratio
>
> etc, etc
>
> Albert

I am on linux and I had already tried mpeg. However I have seen a
significant decrease of quality in the converted videos (I have used it
without options: ffmpeg -i <input-file> outfile.mpg). This is not due
to my TV since we see the decrease also by player both the original and
the converted file with mplayer (or xine) on the PC.

I also have problems with Frame rate, Resolution, etc... Can't we
just keep the characteristic of the original file? I have in general no
clue what to mention. I would like to make the conversion without
loosing quality; so that I can keep only the converted file that are
easier to play with different devices.

Olive