[MEncoder-users] debian package from SVN

Matyas Sustik mplayer.list at sustik.com
Sat Jan 10 22:45:25 CET 2009

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> I think it's kind of cleaner to have a package for mencoder, mplayer,
> and mplayer-gui, so if debian-multimedia.org people could send us a
> _clean_ patch to generate splitted packages, it may get included in
> MPlayer's source tree.

I made the changes that achieved this, but since I am quite new at debian
package creation I may need some pointers in order to get a clean patch out
of it...

I was not sure how one is supposed to create two packages using one
debian/rules file.  My solution used separate sets of control files for the
packages (control.mplayer, control.mencoder) and I create links in the make
commands.  If someone has a pointer to an example showing the proper way I
welcome that.

I also had to create a new changelog file for mencoder.  What would go into
that in this situation?  I just wrote "separated from mplayer".

For the control.mencoder file I have:

Source: mencoder
Section: misc
Maintainer: Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
Standards-Version: 3.2.1
Build-Depends: libgtk1.2-dev | libgtk2.0-dev, libpng12-dev, zlib1g-dev,
x11proto-core-dev, libx11-dev, libxext-dev, libxinerama-dev, libxv-dev,
debhelper (>= 2)

Package: mencoder
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends},debconf,libconfhelper-perl
 MPlayer's Movie Encoder is designed to encode MPlayer-playable movies to
 other MPlayer-playable formats.  It encodes to  MPEG-4  (DivX/Xvid), one
 of the libavcodec codecs and PCM/MP3/VBRMP3 audio in 1, 2 or 3 passes.
 Furthermore it has stream copying cabilities, a powerful filter system
 (including crop, expand, flip, postprocess, rotate, scale, noise, RGB/YUV
 conversion, deinterlace) and more.

I got the description from the docs, otherwise just copied from the mplayer
control file.

Thanks,
Matyas
-
Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.