[MEncoder-users] Compressing an mpeg (DVD)

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de karl-heinz-1950 at web.de
Mon Apr 13 19:12:42 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am having a video file which should have a valid DVD mpeg stream. It is a recording from a sat receiver. Playing this file with mplayer shows

TS file format detected.
VIDEO MPEG2(pid=201) AUDIO MPA(pid=202) NO SUBS (yet)!  PROGRAM N. 0
VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 2)  25.000 fps  15000.0 kbps (1875.0 kbyte/s)

When I play this file using my sat receiver the bitrate seems to vary (up to 15000). This file is 50 min and has about 2.2GB of space.

To compare an mpeg from a different source with 90 min movie uses about 1.5 GB of space. This one shows

MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG2  704x576  (aspect 2)  25.000 fps  9548.8 kbps (1193.6 kbyte/s)

I want to convert the sat file into the same format as the second file and about the same size. To ensure that files of other sources are correct I run them through mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=d
vd:tsaf -oac copy -ovc copy -o outfile.mpg infile.mpg

The questions I have are:

- can a DVD mpeg file have a variable bit rate?
- what would be the best way to reduce the bit rate? (I found some examples to encode to mpeg but I only want to reduce the bitrate I hope I don't have to reencode everything and dig myself through lots of parameters...)

Thanks!