[MEncoder-users] rip dvd to mkv, ogm, mp4 script

Laine Lee llee at lonestar.utsa.edu
Mon Oct 13 17:29:49 CEST 2008

On 10/13/08 3:57 AM, "Stroller" <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2008, at 20:58, Laine Lee wrote:
>> Thanks. But I'm not looking at the output of the undvd conversion
>> process,
>> I'm just looking at the frame rate displayed in the player when I
>> play the
>> resulting .avi file. It's 29.97 and it's choppy. Is there a change I
>> can
>> make in undvd command that will make it come out as 23.976?
>
> I've generally found the output framerate to reflect that of the
> original source disk.
>
> IE: here undvd is producing 29.97fps files from Region 1 NTSC DVDs and
> 25fps files from Region 2 PAL DVDs.
>
> This has been consistent over all the handful of disks I have tried.
>
> This is surely down to MPlayer - I don't think undvd makes any request
> to change framerate (and IMO I don't think it should, either).

I wouldn't doubt that. I did devise a workaround for the problem by
introducing an additional line into the undvd executable's encoding process
that specifies "-ofps 24000/1001". I realize that there shouldn't be a need
for such a modification, but until I can figure out what's wrong, this seems
to completely eliminate my problem with the conversion of DVD titles that
have a 24 fps rate. I would, however, like to find some way to improve
quality of the output. It looks really good, but the resulting AVI is only
1.4G while the sum of the original VOBs adds up to over 5G for the latest
title I've worked with, so I suspect that some quality is being left behind.
Not too much, probably, because I am converting to h264.

> What do you mean by "stuttering"? I would tend to use this to mean
> quite dramatic pauses in playback, the kind one might ascribe to
> insufficient CPU on the playback device.

I just said "choppy". That's meant to be vague. It only means that the
motion is not as smooth as I know it should be (the way it was on the
original). But as I stated above, my specified output frame rate
modification eliminates the problem.

> I have an NTSC PS3 here and expected to see some kind of "pulldown"
> effect when playing these "PAL" rips, but have been unable to do so.
> Perhaps it is just my eyes, but apparently to me the effect of
> different framerates is very minor.

But you do encounter a change between original and output frame rates?

Thanks.

--
Laine Lee