[MEncoder-users] rip dvd to mkv, ogm, mp4 script

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 10:57:04 CEST 2008

On 12 Oct 2008, at 20:58, Laine Lee wrote:
> Thanks. But I'm not looking at the output of the undvd conversion
> process,
> I'm just looking at the frame rate displayed in the player when I
> play the
> resulting .avi file. It's 29.97 and it's choppy. Is there a change I
> can
> make in undvd command that will make it come out as 23.976?

I've generally found the output framerate to reflect that of the
original source disk.

IE: here undvd is producing 29.97fps files from Region 1 NTSC DVDs and
25fps files from Region 2 PAL DVDs.

This has been consistent over all the handful of disks I have tried.

This is surely down to MPlayer - I don't think undvd makes any request
to change framerate (and IMO I don't think it should, either).

What do you mean by "stuttering"? I would tend to use this to mean
quite dramatic pauses in playback, the kind one might ascribe to
insufficient CPU on the playback device.

I have an NTSC PS3 here and expected to see some kind of "pulldown"
effect when playing these "PAL" rips, but have been unable to do so.
Perhaps it is just my eyes, but apparently to me the effect of
different framerates is very minor.

Stroller.