[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Mon Mar 24 20:08:31 CET 2008

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
> and you say mencoder can't do that, right? it can't hardcode subtitles? well,
> everytime i run h264enc, it proves you wrong about this... if you don't
> specify the -vobsubout option of mencoder, by default mencoder will hardcode
> the subtitles... period, been there, done that, seen it all... over

I'm saying that mencoder cannot hardcode subtitles coming from a DVD
(mpeg program stream) while transcoding without the use of several steps
involving temporary files holding the subtitles. Mplayer can actually do
this, but it cannot transcode at the same time, which annoys me.

dvd -> mencoder -> mp4, in one pass, I think that's impossible. My
approach (though not the beauty itself) does it all in one pass.

If I have some spare time the next days I will have another go at
mencoder, if only to remember what exactly was the problem with mencoder
and subtitling.