[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) microchip at telenet.be
Mon Mar 24 20:01:50 CET 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 19:56, Erik Slagter wrote:
> Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
> > On Monday 24 March 2008 19:38, Erik Slagter wrote:
> >> Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
> >> Ehmm, sorry, but I like things to go automatically and unattended.
> >>
> >> So I am actually not looking for a complete script but just (rough)
> >> combinations of applications/options to achieve what I want.
> >
> > and this shows that you don't understand how h264enc works, or at least
> > didn't get the time to investigate... h264enc supports batch encoding,
> > you can't automate more than that...
>
> I am sure h264 is a wonderful application/script, but it's simply not
> what I am looking for.
>
> And indeed, I only had a quick look at the source, to spot how the
> actual encoding is done. From my past experience with mencoder, which
> this script indeed appears to use for encoding the video, I don't
> understand how this can work, other than using intermediate subtitles
> files (more on this) which I don't want.
>
> > and how are you going to insert those subtitles into the mp4 container if
> > not first dumping them to vobsub format and then importing this file into
> > the mp4 container...
>
> I am not going to do that, simple. The PS3 (and probably most other
> hardware devices) does not support subtitles in mp4.
>
> And yes I actually tried it.
>
> > Do you actually understand what hardcoding of subtitles means?
> > it means it burns them directly into the movie so every time you watch
> > it, you get to see the subtitles and there's no way to get rid of them.
> > That's hardcoding.
>
> Duh.. Yes, hardcoding of subtitles is actually evil, believe me, if I
> wouldn't need it, I wouldn't use it. But (again) PS3 leaves me no choice.
>
> > What you're talking about is called embedding subtitles into a
> > container.
>
> No, I am talking of hardcoding subtitles into the video stream while
> transcoding it from mpeg2 video to h264. This must be done at the same
> time/stage to prevent an extra encoding stage which is unacceptable.

and you say mencoder can't do that, right? it can't hardcode subtitles? well,
everytime i run h264enc, it proves you wrong about this... if you don't
specify the -vobsubout option of mencoder, by default mencoder will hardcode
the subtitles... period, been there, done that, seen it all... over

--
Regards