[MEncoder-users] Specifying ranges on multiple input files (was Re: How to specify an action range in mencoder?)

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 18:23:41 CET 2006

Hi,

On 11/4/06, Enzo <v.deflorio at katamail.com> wrote:
> Dear Guillaume,
>
> thank you very much. Sorry that I did not RTFM first!
>
> Now, if I may ask your help again (after having RTFM'ed and checked for
> the feature ;-) :
>
> Would it be possible to run mencoder specifying more than an input file
> and, for each of them, specifying an (-ss, -endpos) couple?
>
> I mean, something like this:
>
> mencoder -ovc /somecodec/ -o output.h264 -ss 2:48 -endpos 55:00
> input1.mpg -ss 1:12 -endpos 55:02  input2.mpg -ss 3:55 -endpos 54:58
> input3.mpg
>
> whose semantics should be "run mencoder on input1.mpg, starting at
> 2'48'' and for 55'; then continue with input2.mpg, starting at 1'12''
> and for 55'02''; then continue with input3.mpg, starting at 3'55'' and
> for 54'58''."
>
> I think the one above would be an interesting extra feature for mencoder
> -- if it is actually missing, I mean.
>
> Thanks for your tips!

Your sample command line should do what you request. The synopsis of
MEncoder looks like:

Now, maybe MEncoder doesn't honner seeking options as you'd like it
too, but that's a shortcoming of MEncoder WRT the input file format
(for example, precise seeking doesn't work well with DVDs and MPEG2
files.... and doesn't work at all with flv files).

Hope that helps

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!