[MEncoder-users] Using mencoder to convert files to iPod

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Tue May 2 16:34:39 CEST 2006

Am Samstag, 29. April 2006 20:25 schrieb Anthony N. Frasso:

> I've been able to build mplayer using the MPlayer
> v1.0pre7try2 source, available on the web site.

This version is very old, 1.0pre8 should be out really soon.

> While these errors bothered me, I went ahead and tried
> to run the following command:
>
> mencoder movie.avi -o movie.mp4 -of lavf -oac mp3lame
> -ovc lavc.  The resulting video does not seem to play.
>
> Can anyone here help me figure out what I am doing
> incorrectly?

You don't seem to have installed the libavformat containers.
1.0pre7 si too old. Yous a CVS snapshot or wait for pre8.

But you might be able to use ffmpeg instead of mencoder.

e.g.
ffmpeg -y -i input.avi -s 320:240 -b 300 -ac 1 -ab 96 -acodec aac -aspect
4:3 -vcodec mpeg4 output.mp4
(do ot know if your ipod supports mpeg4/aac (but my mobil phone does))

Regards,
  Matthias