[MEncoder-users] capture: synchronization problems

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Mar 22 09:32:32 CET 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:53:39PM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:55:31 -0500
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > No idea about avidemux2, but virtualdub pukes pretty bad on avi files
> > with vbr audio, and seems to be rather buggy/limited in general.
>
> Avidemux2 doesn't work wonderfully with VBR, but it works well
> enough... It takes a couple minutes to build a VBR time map, then it
> seems to work well.

This is totally unnecessary and shows that the author either doesn't
understand the avi file format, or used to not understand it and is
now too lazy to fix it (just like we're too lazy to fix stuff in
mplayer where we learned from our mistakes... :).

> But I personally use MP2 when outputting something to be edited, to
> prevent getting blips from MP3 frames that have been cut. It's easy
> enough to convert the audio to VBR MP3 after editing.

Cut frames? This should not happen, unless the program doing the
editing is broken.

> Mencoder is a good video encoder, but not a very good editor, IMHO.

Try now with EDL support.. :)

Rich