[MEncoder-users] capture: synchronization problems

newsgrabber at poczta.onet.pl newsgrabber at poczta.onet.pl
Thu Mar 17 21:22:23 CET 2005

The system is MDK 10.0, MEncoder 1.0pre6-3.3.2

I am trying to record some VHS tapes via Composite. The recording process goes
fine and I receive no error messages like "dropped frames" etc.

But watching the avi file one can see that already after 30 minutes the audio
stream is slightly behind the video. This grows bigger along the file, so in
the end of a 90 minute movie the difference is about 1-2 seconds. (In the
beginning everything is perfect).

Is there any way to prevent this or to repair such a file with any tool for
linux?

The comand line is as follows; I found it somewhere on the web:

mencoder tv:// -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128:mode=2 \
-srate 44100 -tv driver=v4l2:input=1:width=768:height=576:\
audiorate=96000 -vop pp=lb,crop=768:544:0:0 \
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -o /mnt/hdd/test.avi

(The audiorate=9600 is needed for my motherboard sound chipset)