[MEncoder-users] Compiling mplayer/ffmpeg from cvs

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:07:00 CEST 2005

Hello,

On 6/14/05, Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer at gmx.de> wrote:
> From: Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> Subject: Re: [MEncoder-users] Compiling mplayer/ffmpeg from cvs
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:59:03 +0200
>

> > These bugs are triggered "at random" and caused by gcc not handling inline
> > assembly very well. Up to now changing the compiler version always fixed
> > it...
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Reimar Döffinger
>

> ...and how often I should randomly change versions of gcc and how much
> versions should I have on my harddisc to be prepared for radmomly
> triggered "incompatibilities"....and how much impact will this have on
> the rest of my development ?
>
> There is ONE application -- mplayer -- which triggeres such randomly
> bugs.
>
> What's about clean code ?

That's a tough question you know. MPlayer supports already a great
variety of compiler: gcc-2.95, 3.3, 3.4, Intel C compiler 8.x and
probably 7.x
It probably also supports 3.2 though I can test, and we're working on
gcc-4.0 support. That's a lot of different compiler version to be
compatible with, my friend.

You gotta believe that this is already a great challenge to maintain
compatibly with all those compilers. The problem is that part of what
makes MPlayer a very fast player is what leads to compiler
incompatibilities: inline ASM.
This seems to be a recurrent problem with GCC.

Anyway, the problem you're facing is an internal compiler error (aka
ICE) which is a problem with GCC, not MPlayer. Please try to upgrade
your GCC version.
--
I should have invented the tape recorder,
that way people would have more quotes of