[MEncoder-users] XviD compress avi doesn't play on windows

Phil Oleynik Phil.Oleynik at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Jan 17 14:42:14 CET 2005

Florian Schulze wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I encoded an avi with XviD and it plays fine with mplayer, but it
> doesn't show the video on Windows. On Linux I used XviD 1.0.3 and
> MPlayer 1.0pre6 with this commands:
>
> mencoder -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -srate 44100
> -o frameno.avi [playback command] ...
> mencoder -nosound -ovc xvid -oac copy -xvidencopts
> bitrate=615:quant_type=mpeg:quant_intra_matrix=/home/guest/kvcd_intra:quant_inter_matrix=/home/guest/kvcd_inter:pass=1
> -srate 44100 -o /dev/null ...
> mencoder -ovc xvid -oac copy -xvidencopts
> bitrate=615:quant_type=mpeg:quant_intra_matrix=/home/guest/kvcd_intra:quant_inter_matrix=/home/guest/kvcd_inter:pass=2
> -srate 44100 -o output.avi ...
>
> On Windows I tried XviD 1.0.3, but WMP doesn't recognize the video
> stream. I used GSpot and it also said it can't find a DirectShow path
> for the video stream. The only way to see something was using
> VirtualDub. I tried to fix the avi stream with VirtualDub, but it
> didn't change anything.
>
> What can I do to create XviD avis which play on Windows?
>
> The sound is fine in all cases, except that VirtualDub writes
> something about an invalid vbr audio header.
>
> Regards,
> Florian Schulze

Hello!

First, try to look into that file with usual viewer, to see header. If
there is a "xvid" or "XVID" line.
If it IS there - look if some weird thing are in header - huge zero
fields or so.
If nothing helps - try to use XviD w/o custom matrices and see if it
solves the problem. Maybe, quality
will satisfy you.
Also you may try to encode video w/o sound. If it works - merge sound
and video in Windows using VirtualDub!

Phil