[MEncoder-users] XviD compress avi doesn't play on windows

Florian Schulze florian.proff.schulze at gmx.net
Mon Jan 17 14:19:26 CET 2005

Hi!

I encoded an avi with XviD and it plays fine with mplayer, but it doesn't
show the video on Windows. On Linux I used XviD 1.0.3 and MPlayer 1.0pre6
with this commands:

mencoder -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -srate 44100 -o
frameno.avi [playback command] ...
mencoder -nosound -ovc xvid -oac copy -xvidencopts
bitrate=615:quant_type=mpeg:quant_intra_matrix=/home/guest/kvcd_intra:quant_inter_matrix=/home/guest/kvcd_inter:pass=1
-srate 44100 -o /dev/null ...
mencoder -ovc xvid -oac copy -xvidencopts
bitrate=615:quant_type=mpeg:quant_intra_matrix=/home/guest/kvcd_intra:quant_inter_matrix=/home/guest/kvcd_inter:pass=2
-srate 44100 -o output.avi ...

On Windows I tried XviD 1.0.3, but WMP doesn't recognize the video stream.
I used GSpot and it also said it can't find a DirectShow path for the
video stream. The only way to see something was using VirtualDub. I tried
to fix the avi stream with VirtualDub, but it didn't change anything.

What can I do to create XviD avis which play on Windows?

The sound is fine in all cases, except that VirtualDub writes something
about an invalid vbr audio header.

Regards,
Florian Schulze