[MEncoder-users] Re: Re: new doom9 codec comparission (submission)

Doom9 Feedback Hotline feedback123 at doom9.org
Mon Dec 19 14:14:17 CET 2005

>I smell something buggy... Have you been using ffdshow to encode all
>along?

Of course not, I'm always using the mencoder build Corey told me to use. I
created a raw file with mencoder (-of rawvideo), then put that in an AVI
with mencoder -ovc copy), and that file just cannot be opened via VfW. The
alternative was taking the mp4box muxed MP4 file, extract the video stream
to AVI with mp4box, cut that via VfW (VirtualDub) - that's the one mplayer
cannot handle, VLC has no problem with either.

>and my reply was just to show this to be false, as such comments are
>making lavc look bad to who reads this

This is where you go wrong. You can disagree with my findings, that's your
prerogative, but claiming they are false is just outrageous.. you do not
have my visual system so how on earth can you claim that my findings are
false? Given the exact same content and the same playback mechanism, you
might rate things differently, and that's perfectly okay and the reason why
I'm so meticulous in putting all information I think is necessary to
reproduce a test in the comparison.. so you can see with your own eyes and
draw your own conclusions. A metrics comparison can be right or wrong
because somebody screwed up in the technical part (not taking into account
frame delays introduced by B-frames for instance, duplicating frames to make
the length of two encoded files match, screw up the statistics by
calculation errors, etc), but those points are all moot for a subjective
comparison - in such case, right or wrong is literally a matter of point of
view. Unlike some other people here I do not claim to have the absolute
truth, I can only give what I see, it's up to everybody reading the
comparison to judge for themselves and trying to reproduce the results to
verify if they would come to the same conclusion. If they do, they could've
saved themselves a lot of effort, if they didn't, they might both have
learned something knew, and can be sure that now they make the right choice
for themselves.

>also note iam also always interrested in bugreports which would show
>examples where my pp code is worse, if noone sends us bugreports we
>cant know about the issues and cant fix them ...

How can you say something is broken? As a fellow programmer, I wouldn't dare
call somebody broken until I have good reasons to make such a claim. I can
only point out that if you decode the xvid clip with ffdshow and then with
the xvid dshow filter (deblocking turned on in both cases), the results of
the latter look more visually pleasing to me. That's a subjective call, I
cannot say either one is broken or does it better, just that one looks
better to me than the other. That's all the info you need to try and
reproduce.. I'll be interested to hear your findings. And please note, that
this is about DirectShow filters so you have no choice but to do this on a
Windows box.. using mplayer just isn't the same.

>no double blind tests?

You have two samples, feel free to do that on your own. I'm reasonably
confident that you cannot argue that amount of a difference away. And it
clearly says in the qualification that I cannot tell the difference between
lavc and xvid in the still scenes. That is, they are different but I cannot
make the call which one looks better.. they just look different.

Finally, I need to say something: no other participant has ever give me that
amount of grief. I find it very unprofessional of anybody to try and twist
things to their favor by trying to force a certain decoder (they probably
know to be superior and make other codecs look worse?) via bully tactics,
and by unwarranted attacks on my testing methods. In five years of codec
testing, this has not happened a single time before (I shudder at the
thought of looking up discussions that ensued after I tested libavcodec last
time). All participants, being open source teams or large commercial
entities, have always been courteous, and never destructive, even when faced
with unfavorable results, at times even mistakes of my own that would have
given them plenty of reasons to raise hell. They might respectfully disagree
with my findings, which is everybody's right, but what I'm experiencing here
goes way beyond that.

I have invested a considerable amount of additional time to explain many
issues, gone to considerable trouble of taking extra screenshots and posting
samples, just to be brushed off with impolite if not borderline arrogant and
snippish comments. I have not even enforced the two day period that the
comparison rules give to fix settings in case something goes wrong (which it
did in case of Snow). I couldn't even phantom what a comparison would look
like if I adopted the same kind of behavior that I had to experience here,
at the very least I'd immediately disqualify the participant. But at this
point I have a hard time imagining ever putting myself through this again in
the future. There are a lot of other codecs out there, and a lot of people
that have no problem accepting if somebody does not share their opinion.

Good bye
Doom9