[MEncoder-users] ffdshow spp for Doom9 codec comparison

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Tue Dec 6 13:32:52 CET 2005

Am Dienstag, 6. Dezember 2005 04:41 schrieb Corey Hickey:
> Hello Milan,
>
> I'm working on finding the best encoding and decoding settings for
> libavcodec MPEG-4 so I can send them to Doom9 for the 2005 codec
> comparison.
>
> According to my own tests, the best-looking decoding setting with
> mplayer is '-vf spp=2'.

In the TOOLS directory of mplayer there is a script named psnr-video.sh.

You can use it do compare different postprocessing settings:

recompressed video + -vf spp=2, scale=1024:-2
vs.
Original video + vf scale=1024:-2

It outputs the PSNR value for the differences between the original frames
and the recompressed frames. You should use short test videos because
this script needs much temporary disk space.

I do know that high PSNR does not necessarily mean high quality but at
least it can help a bit to decide if spp=2 or fspp=2 or pp=ac or... is
nearer to the original video.

Regards,
  Matthias