[MEncoder-users] Subtitles out of sync after IVTC

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Sun Dec 4 10:46:49 CET 2005

Michael Fiano wrote:

>Hi mencoders,
>   I am encoding an anime DVD. I have encoded a 30i NTSC DVD to a 24p XviD with
>the following command:
>
>mencoder -oac copy -ovc xvid -ofps 24000/1001 -sws 9 -vf
>pullup,softskip,hqdn3d,crop=704:464:10:10,scale=576:432 -xvidencopts
>fixed_quant=2:me_quality=6:max_bframes=2:bquant_ratio=150:bquant_offset=75:
>bf_threshold=0:trellis:cartoon:chroma_opt:hq_ac:vhq=4:max_key_interval=240
>video.vob -o video.avi
>
>The quality is really good, and the telecine process has been reversed
>great...even on pans/zooms. When I play the file, the audio is in perfect sync
>up to the end. Also, ripping the audio from the source and replacing it with the
>audio copied during the encode results in no sync issues either. The problem is
>when I watch the encode with subtitles. The subtitles I use are untouched VobSub
>subtitles from the source, extracted with the command:
>
>mencoder -vf pullup,softskip -nosound -vobsubout subs -vobsuboutindex 0 -sid 0
>-ovc frameno -o /dev/null video.vob
>
>They are in sync at the beginning, but as the time progresses, the subtitles
>lose sync gradually. This happens with external subs with AVI, and also
>contained in a matroska MKV. This is also consistant with at least 2 other anime
>DVD's I have tried.
>
>Does anyone have any clue why only subtitles are out of sync, or any suggestions
>to try?

Hello,

it is possibly because "-ofps 24000/1001" option. You possibly changed movie
timing a little, but subs were ripped just as is. I do not know well
.idx file language,
it seems that there are exact timestamps for every title, without option to
change fps, only delay option exists.
If you have read the manual, you should notice "-subfps" option, it may
help you.
( I do not usually store VobSub subtitles, so I do not have any to check)

Philipp