[MEncoder-users] 2 pass encoding from tuners?

Roger Andreassen randreas69 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 18:54:51 CET 2004

Hi all,

I have a good line to encode DVD's slower than real-time, and I have a real
fast script to run the tuner cards with cron jobs.

Now to combine these two I'd like to try to have high quality from the TV
tuners.

Dig this: If I settle for mp3lame sound encoding and could find a
intermediate 'storage' level for the pictures I could encode the video
later.

When I grab TV with mencoder it's usually bc I'm busy with something else.
When the CPU load gets too high I'm afraid the encoding turns into crap. I
reckon the harddisk bandwith should be ample enough to _store_ the raw video
(could get to 20M/sec). I could do a final compress later with a nice level,
then I could doctor my script to use much lesser cpu.

I have a AMD 1.4GHz, 512 Mb and WD800 and WD1200 harddisks. If both tuners
kicks in at once they're usually at 35% + 35% (Pinnacle PCTV Pros), that's
leaves me with just the 30% of oomph which I try to adress.

In the ye olde days I heard you should get a dedicated AV drive for video
use. Does the disks today survive a couple hours sustained load provided I
cool the cabinet?

Regards,

Roger Andreassen,
Norway