[MEncoder-users] XVID Encoding for Philips DVP642

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Sat Dec 11 09:54:11 CET 2004

Charles wrote:

>Hello,
>
>  I have a Philips DVP642 DVD player, and I'm trying to use mencoder to
>convert a bunch of movie files in various formats to play on it.  I've
>tried using both mpeg4 and xvid like so:
>
>mencoder source.mpg -of avi -oac mp3lame -o file.avi \
>  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1400:vhq:vpass=1
>mencoder source.mpg -of avi -oac mp3lame -o file.avi \
>  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1400:vhq:vpass=2
>
>mencoder source.mpg -of avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts \
>  abr:br=128 -o /dev/null \
>  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts vhq=4:pass=1
>mencoder source.mpg -of avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts \
>  abr:br=128 -o file.avi \
>  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts vhq=4:bitrate=1100:pass=2
>
>with no luck.  I know it's not the burning process or the player itself,
>because some xvids that I downloaded from BitTorrent and burned on the
>same DVD play fine.  The ones I converted either freeze about 30 seconds
>in to playing or have chunky video (it pauses and then jumps 4-5 seconds
>ahead) and audio sync problems.
>
>Anyone got some recommendations?  I prefer to use xvid or mpeg4 for the
>extra compression, otherwise I'd just dump them to mpeg2, at about 2.5
>times the size of the xvids.  The converted files play perfectly in
>mplayer.

1) those players really hate vbr audio, so you should replace :abr with :cbr
2) you aren't even considering A/R, so you should either rescale your encode
after having cropped it (-vf crop=w:h:t:b,scale=720:-2) or append
:aspect=16/9
to -xvidencopts
3) try to disable b frames or to set them to 1 max
3) eventually try to reduce the keyframe interval to something shorter
than the default 10*fps