[MEncoder-users] MEncoder lockups

LavaDevil junkm at riversdell.com
Sat Dec 11 16:44:39 CET 2004

Hello,
I'm using MEncoder to try to reencode DVDs or AVIs into other formats.
However, after about 400 seconds into an encoding, my machine locks up
hard, and I have to reboot. Sometimes it locks hard, sometimes X exits,
doing 'ls' gives a Segmentation Fault, and MEncoder gives me back an
error message saying 'Floating point exception'. It's very hard to get a
core dump, as the machine usually locks up with no warning or error
messages. I've tried disabling APIC support in the kernel, disabling DMA
for my drives, and trying a CVS snapshot of MEncoder, all with no
success. I haven't found this issue on the mailing list archives, and
noone on a Linux forum could provide an answer. I didn't see the lockup
problem in the known bugs section of the MPlayer/MEncoder docs. I've
checked my RAM and CPU temperature, nothing wrong with them. Here are my
specs:

Gentoo 2004.2 (kernel 2.6.9-nitro3) Glibc 2.3.3
MPlayer 20041206 CVS snapshot, compiled with MMX, MMX2 SSE, 3dnow,
3dnow2, and -O3
GCC version 3.3.3
Using an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor with 1024MB of RAM
nVidia drivers 6229
GNU assembler 2.14.90.0.8 20040114
LD 2.14.90.0.8 20040114
Creative SB Live with ALSA 1.0.7 emu10k1 drivers

The problem occurs when encoding any file (or DVD), regardless of
format, and occurs no matter what options I use with MEncoder. Has
anyone had this problem before?