[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Ondřej Fiala ofiala at airmail.cc
Sat May 4 15:48:29 EEST 2024

On Fri May 3, 2024 at 7:45 PM CEST, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le perjantaina 3. toukokuuta 2024, 20.30.16 EEST Ondřej Fiala a écrit :
> > > You can't expect the whole community to accomodate your unwillingness to
> > > run a web browser or update a ridiculous underprovisioned computer
> > > system.
> > There is a huge difference between running a web browser and running
> > Firefox/Chrome that you're consistently ignoring. I absolutely don't
> > mind running Lynx... :)
>
> My point is that the requirement for *practical* *use* of an HTML5 web browser
> are lower than those for compiling, and running the test suite of, FFmpeg.
Performance-wise, you're probably right. I was talking more about
the technological complexity and the fact we have this oligopoly
of a handful of browsers by companies who can afford supporting
their development and you have to use one of them to be able to use
these platforms.

Here again you're saying "HTML5 browser", but the fact is that they don't
work on all HTML5-supporting browsers because of how complex the tech is.

As I said before, GH for example didn't work for me on a well-maintained
(but niche) Firefox fork even though the fork actually did have support
for an impressive amount of modern web technologies, including HTML5. It
just didn't happen to have support for all of it, because frankly that's
impossible unless you're a big company like Mozilla or Google, and so it
didn't work.

The article I linked in a separate reply is a good overview of the immense
technological complexity of modern web tech.

> Sure you can run Links, W3M or NCSA Mosaic with a lot lower requirements, and
> Gitlab probably does not work under any of those. But the point is that
> Chromium or Firefox are *not* really limitting factors here.
GitLab is blocking anything that doesn't run JS due to its use of Cloudflare,
and even back when it didn't, not a single portion of it worked without JS
because it uses it for everything.

As I wrote at the beginning of this thread, Gitea is the most accessible
of GitHub-like platforms. It worked well in Pale Moon IIRC and all the
non-interactive parts of the UI (viewing files, issues, pull requests, etc.)
seem to work without JS. I wouldn't expect to be able to submit an issue or
a pull request this way, but it's better than GitHub and much better than
GitLab. Also its UI is faster than GitLab and feels more reasonable.

Please consider it instead of GitLab if you need to transition away from
mailing lists.. I haven't seen any mentions of GitLab features missing
from Gitea, anyway.