[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri May 3 17:41:45 EEST 2024

Le perjantaina 3. toukokuuta 2024, 15.58.50 EEST Ondřej Fiala a écrit :
> > And in the end, I could be wrong, but I haven't seen you doing much code
> > review here. This is all about optimising the workflow for people doing
> > code reviews and code merges, so why do you even care?
>
> Because your "optimizations" will make contributing to ffmpeg significantly
> harder for people like me.

All they do is make the first contribution harder because you have to create an
account on, and clone the repository within, the web forge. Considering the
distribution between first-time contributions versus reviews and further-time
contributions, that is a very obviously worthy tradeoff.

Note that I don't particularly prefer Gitlab vs email for submitting code.
They both have their pros and cons, and I do not really like either of them.
But Gitlab is so much easier for code review and merge, and it looks to me
that the shortage of reviewers is even more pressing than developers here.

The argument that people can't use web forges because they require too
powerful computer system is bollocks. A system that can't show the Gitlab
frontend is not going to be able to compile FFmpeg, forget run the test suite,
in any practical time frame. Not to deny that there are performance
challenges, but those lie on the server side.

You can't expect the whole community to accomodate your unwillingness to run a
web browser or update a ridiculous underprovisioned computer system.

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/