[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Ondřej Fiala ofiala at airmail.cc
Fri May 3 15:58:50 EEST 2024

On Fri May 3, 2024 at 7:46 AM CEST, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le 2 mai 2024 22:32:16 GMT+03:00, "Ondřej Fiala" <ofiala at airmail.cc> a écrit :

> >> And Gitlab and Github are meant for what they are used.
> >> That's the whole point.
> >This argument can actually go in both directions
>
> No, it can't.
I wish your replies were more constructive.

> > Since the Web and web
> >browsers weren't meant for performing code review either.
>
> I was obviously and explicitly talking about Github and Gitlab web
> applications, not the browsers. You're being ridiculous.
A web application is just a bunch of JavaScript and/or Web Assembly
running in a web browser that supports it. The technologies that these
"applications" rely on are often available only in latest mainstream
browsers, everyone else is excluded. I experienced such exclusion first
hand in the past, which I mentioned in the email you're replying to.

I really don't see how I am being ridiculous by pointing that out.

> Your OS was originally meant to run bash, not a mail client, by that logic.
I really don't see how that follows the same logic, since a general purpose
OS is meant to run anything you want it to (that's the meaning of "general
purpose"), while a web browser was originally meant to, guess what, browse
the web.

Besides, the first version of Linux was released in 1991 and email existed
for many years at that time already.

> And in the end, I could be wrong, but I haven't seen you doing much code
> review here. This is all about optimising the workflow for people doing
> code reviews and code merges, so why do you even care?
Because your "optimizations" will make contributing to ffmpeg significantly
harder for people like me.