[rtmpdump] Fwd: RTMPDump can no longer build against OpenSSL (versions after 1.0.2, supposedly)

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Tue Sep 12 21:39:09 EEST 2023

Gordon Steemson wrote:
> Apologies – for whatever reason, this message (alone, out of all others) ended up getting spamfiltered.  Good thing I check it every now and then.
>
>> On Sep 11, 2023, at 9:51 AM, Howard Chu <hyc at highlandsun.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not sure whether we should patch anything here. A lot of the functions
>> we use are deprecated in newer versions of OpenSSL, and will eventually
>> disappear. But RTMPE will continue to use these mechanisms as-is. We
>> might just document that you must use OpenSSL older than 1.1 because the
>> necessary algorithms are unsupported in newer OpenSSL releases.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Sounds reasonable, but on the other hand, it didn't look like much needed to be changed to fix this – IIRC, two functions declare a local variable for that structure instead of a pointer to one.  I guess it is a balance between "is this worth putting any time into" and "does that specific version bump in OpenSSL actually matter in terms of improved security or whatever".

My build against OpenSSL 3 had a lot more errors than the two you mentioned.
If it had just been a couple line fix I would have just done it, but there's
more going on than just that.

As for the question you pose - as far as RTMPE goes, the answer is going to be
a resounding no. If anyone is using RTMPS, I guess keeping current with TLS
standards might be worthwhile, but again, the actual RTMP servers out there
are probably also EOL. No point in releasing new servers if the primary client,
the Flash player, has been dead for 2 years already.

> Gordon S.

  -- Howard Chu