[rtmpdump] Fwd: RTMPDump can no longer build against OpenSSL (versions after 1.0.2, supposedly)

Gordon Steemson gsteemso at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 17:21:30 EEST 2023

Apologies – for whatever reason, this message (alone, out of all others) ended up getting spamfiltered.  Good thing I check it every now and then.

> On Sep 11, 2023, at 9:51 AM, Howard Chu <hyc at highlandsun.com> wrote:
>
> Not sure whether we should patch anything here. A lot of the functions
> we use are deprecated in newer versions of OpenSSL, and will eventually
> disappear. But RTMPE will continue to use these mechanisms as-is. We
> might just document that you must use OpenSSL older than 1.1 because the
> necessary algorithms are unsupported in newer OpenSSL releases.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds reasonable, but on the other hand, it didn't look like much needed to be changed to fix this – IIRC, two functions declare a local variable for that structure instead of a pointer to one.  I guess it is a balance between "is this worth putting any time into" and "does that specific version bump in OpenSSL actually matter in terms of improved security or whatever".

Gordon S.