[rtmpdump] rtmpdump 2.4: bails at the 4 GB mark?

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Wed Aug 1 18:05:17 CEST 2012

Chris Cullen wrote:
>>/Jul 31, 2012 jc wrote
> />>/  How can I do this on Darwin, which doesn't make use of mingw? I had a quick
> />>/  look through the source and notice in librtmp/rtmp.c the following codeŠ is
> />>/  it as simple as switching off_t on there?
> />/
> />/I believe this quote is apropos
> />/
> />/Sep 30, 2011 Howard Chu wrote
> />>/  There is nothing to "port". Build with 64-bit
> />>/compiler switches, get a 64 bit
> />/  > binary.
> />>
>>>Not quite, in all darwin versions including iOS,
>>>off_t is and has always been 64-bit.
>
> I'm running into the same issue. I compiled it on my 64bit machine but I
don't think that's going to fix the issue as the rtmpdump binary in most
package repos is already "64bit".

I haven't looked too deeply into this but it appears that this is a limitation
of the RTMP protocol itself. In particular, the SendBytesReceived request only
accepts a 32 bit integer. Most likely a client has to disconnect and
reconnect, starting at a later timestamp, to retrieve something larger. You
would probably need to get a wireshark capture of an Adobe client retrieving
the same stream to know for sure.