[rtmpdump] patch: strsignal

Peter Miller pmiller at opensource.org.au
Sat Apr 9 02:02:24 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 11:31 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> Peter Miller wrote:
> > This patch adds the use of strsignal, to print a human readable signal
> > name in the signal handler's log message.
>
> Did you test this patch on Windows?

I don't have access to windows.  I could maybe use Wine to run Cygwin.
I've never owned a native windows compiler.  Do you know of an open
source one?

> I'm rejecting this patch. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Having to look up the signal number is unhelpful.  Having to look one up
is what prompted me to make that change set in the first place.

> but your patch will break it for someone.

Could you please give more feedback?

Is the strsignal function the problem?  It is a POSIX function, and all
modern Unix and Unix-like operating systems have it.  IIRC, even cygwin
has it, being a POSIX adaptation layer.  I can contribute a strsignal
implementation, if you like, written many years ago when not all Unix
implementations had one.

And there were a couple of bugs with the strsignal patch that the next
change set (gcc printf attributes) found and fixed, I could make a
composite patch with those, too, if you like.

--
Regards
Peter Miller <pmiller at opensource.org.au>

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"Deleted code is debugged code."  -- Jeff Sickel