[rtmpdump] Request - settable Windows application title

NhJm nhjm449 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 02:22:07 CET 2010

rtmpdump outputs messages to STDERR by default, which using a plain
">" will not capture. (It will, however, output the video data to
STDOUT if you specify "-" as the FLV output file.)

STDOUT and STDERR are two separate output streams, represented by 1
and 2, respectively. (And in case you're curious, 0 is STDIN, but
that's not used for output!)

">file.txt" = capture STDOUT (it will pretend that you specified a 1)
"1>file.txt" = capture STDOUT
"2>file.txt" = capture STDERR

Note that you can combine these redirectors.
ie. "rtmpdump ... 1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt"

If you're curious about how to output both streams to one file:
">file.txt 2>&1" = redirect STDERR to STDOUT and then capture STDOUT
ie. "rtmpdump ... >stdboth.txt 2>&1"

And if you're interested in NOT erasing the data in the txt file each
time you run the program, you can use ">>" instead of ">" to append
instead of truncate.

See http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/redirection.mspx?mfr=true
if you care to learn more.

Anyways, all you should probably worry about is doing "rtmpdump -r
blah blah blah -o blah 2>stderr.txt"

Hoping this helps,
NhJm

P.S. *nix has "&>" that redirects both STDOUT/STDERR w/o the "2>&1" stuff.