[NUT-devel] Codec id - random notes

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 08:47:05 CEST 2006

2006/6/28, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>:

> > >well, as we still dont have volunteer for maintaining nut-id and no initial
> > >nut-id table either, I/IAA options are pretty dead anyway
> > >ivan do you volunteer to do the work? and can you make a table containing
> > >all 4cc of avi & mov with nice format & implementation names?
> >
> > No problem. That's easy.
>
> It is not easy and you'll have an even harder time getting anyone to
> adopt it.
>
> > I hope you don't want it with past date. It needs few hours work.
> > Of course I'll do it only if the format_id is really going to be used.
>
> Unlikely.
>
> > I'd like discusion to be based on arguments and reasoning, not what
> > Dick likes and what not.
>
> Apparently you missed the argument. To quote:
>
> "It's just like matroska, useless bloat"
>
> I didn't go into any more detail because I already explained what I
> mean by this many times. Bloat means cost (in size, performance, or

Sorry my psychic powers are quite miserable lately and I cannot guess
what do you mean. Obviously you should stop making claims and do more
explanations.

> complexity -- in this case mainly complexity) is disproportionately
> large compared to practical benefit (which is zero here, so the bloat
> ratio is infinite). Making up our own id system would be a classic
> case of NIH syndrome.

If there was 1 _single_ existing tag system that is fulfilling our
requirements then there wouldn't be anything to argue about.

So if there is no sane system we should at least _try_ to invent one.
And I don't mean to take random bits from other tag system and stock
them toggether, hoping they will stick.