[NUT-devel] Codec id - random notes

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jun 28 03:45:07 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:54:16AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> >> I generally dislike anything involving nut-id. It's just like
> >> matroska, useless bloat.
> >
> >well, as we still dont have volunteer for maintaining nut-id and no initial
> >nut-id table either, I/IAA options are pretty dead anyway
> >ivan do you volunteer to do the work? and can you make a table containing
> >all 4cc of avi & mov with nice format & implementation names?
>
> No problem. That's easy.

It is not easy and you'll have an even harder time getting anyone to
adopt it.

> I hope you don't want it with past date. It needs few hours work.
> Of course I'll do it only if the format_id is really going to be used.

Unlikely.

> I'd like discusion to be based on arguments and reasoning, not what
> Dick likes and what not.

Apparently you missed the argument. To quote:

"It's just like matroska, useless bloat"

I didn't go into any more detail because I already explained what I
mean by this many times. Bloat means cost (in size, performance, or
complexity -- in this case mainly complexity) is disproportionately
large compared to practical benefit (which is zero here, so the bloat
ratio is infinite). Making up our own id system would be a classic
case of NIH syndrome.

Rich