[NUT-devel] codec id nonsense, please end it

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jun 20 23:43:35 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:28:36PM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> >i do not object at all to commenting in the nut spec that, in the
> >event of a new future codec id standard that's well-designed, a future
> >nut version may support using the new id system instead of fourcc.
> >however, making a new codec id system and getting all containers to
> >adopt it is WAAAY to ambitious of a project right now and WAAAAY
> >outside the scope of what nut is trying to do.
>
> Why don't you give it a shot?

Because it has no benefits. None of the problem of current container
formats is due to fourcc. It's due to missing or incorrect data about
the stored frames, inefficiency, lack of robustness, etc.

> If you had put at least half of the effort you made for backward_ptr
> in developing new format_id system, NUT would have been compleated
> already.

As far as I'm concerned NUT is completed already.

> NUT is well polished format. Every aspect have been flamed, hammered,
> tuned and tempered.
> I don't want to neglect the probably most important at user point of
> view aspect because you are hurrying for the release.

This is not an important point. Anyway... here let's use a new codec
id system. In the new system all names will be exactly 4 characters,
and here are the first 6 entries:

mp4v - mpeg4 video
aac  - aac audio
mp3  - mp3 audio
mp2  - mp2 audio
h264 - h264 video
vrbs - voris audio

Any correspondence to historically used names from fourcc or qt
identifier is purely coincidental. :)))

Rich