[MPlayer-users] Unexpected quasi-pause when switching desktops

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 27 04:38:20 EEST 2022

On 2022-08-26 at 15:11, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> On 26 Aug 2022, at 19:21, The Wanderer <wanderer at fastmail.fm>
>> wrote:
>>
>> and it was built on July 14th of this year. The environment is
>> Linux, with -vo vdpau and -ao alsa.
>
> I would first check if anything changes with e.g. -ao null or
> -nosound or -novideo or -vo x11 or -vo gl to at least narrow it down
> to one component...

I've run a few of these tests now, and the results look interesting, but
I'm not sure what they mean.

With -vo gl and -ao alsa, the problem happens in what appears to be the
exact same way.

With -vo x11 and -ao alsa, the problem does *not* happen.

With -nosound and -vo vdpau, something similar to the problem happens;
the hang doesn't seem to happen completely, but the timestamps in the
terminal go from progressing in realtime to progressing by 0.1 every
tick (vague ballpark for tick length: one second).

With -ao null and -vo vdpau, the behavior is similar to that with
-nosound, but different in scale: the progress per tick appears to be
0.2 instead of 0.1.

I don't see how to test with -novideo, since the way to reproduce the
problem is to move the video window to one 'desktop' and then leave it
there while moving to another, and with -novideo there's no video window.

I've also noticed that with the problem reproduced (at least with the
original configuration, -vo vdpau and -ao alsa) and the hang currently
present, if I focus the video window and press the spacebar to try to
pause, then press it again to try to unpause, the messages

[AO_ALSA] pcm pause error: File descriptor in bad state
[AO_ALSA] pcm resume error: File descriptor in bad state

are printed in the terminal (the first two in response to the pause
attempt, the third in response to the unpause attempt). I don't know
whether that's at all informative or at all surprising.

Any next suggestions?

--
   The Wanderer