[MPlayer-users] Error on GNUTLS when compiling MPlayer 1.2.1 in DebianLinux

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 11 23:16:42 EET 2021

On 2021-02-11 at 15:48, Stephane Ascoet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I configure MPlayer compilation with the following options:
> --disable-apple-remote --disable-mencoder --disable-xf86keysym
> --disable-radio-v4l2 --disable-radio-bsdbt848 --disable-tv  --disable-tv-v4l1
> --disable-tv-bsdbt848 --disable-tv-v4l2 --disable-bluray --disable-cddb
> --disable-inet6 --disable-vstream --disable-w32threads --disable-os2threads
> --disable-ossaudio --disable-arts --disable-esd --disable-pulse --disable-jack
> --disable-openal --disable-nas --disable-sgiaudio --disable-sndio
> --disable-sunaudio --disable-kai --disable-dart --disable-win32waveout
> --enable-gnutls --language-doc=fr --language-man=fr --language-msg=fr
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> --language=fr --enable-mmx

In the MPlayer configure script, '--enable-foo' typically means to skip
autodetection of foo, and assume that the necessary compiler / linker /
etc. options to make compiling with foo work are specified via some
other means (such as the --extra-* configure options).

This is different from the semantics of '--enable-foo' in autotools,
where it typically means to autodetect the compiler options for
compiling with foo.

When you specify '--enable-gnutls' without specifying any GnuTLS-finding
options to replace the autodetection, MPlayer tries to compile against
GnuTLS but can't find the files it needs. If I'm not mistaken, what
you're seeing are simply "missing symbol" compile-time linker errors.

The default when neither '--enable-gnutls' or '--disable-gnutls' is
specified is to autodetect.

If you remove that option and GnuTLS is not detected, that means you
either don't have the necessary pieces installed for it to work, or
MPlayer doesn't know where to find them.

If you're sure you have them installed, you need to pass arguments to
e.g. the --extra-* configure options which tell MPlayer where to find
the header and other library-related files necessary to compile with GnuTLS.

Most likely, however, what you need to do is to configure MPlayer
without '--*-gnutls' and review the config.log output to see why
autodetection is failing, then see what you can do to let it find what
it's looking for.

--
   The Wanderer