[MPlayer-users] Quick (and hopefully simple) Mplayer query

Paul Strickland paul_strickland at mail.com
Tue Oct 29 08:43:37 EET 2019

Thanks Alexander

I'd seen slave mode and was hoping to avoid it, but if that’s the way to go, I'll try it.

To give you a bit of background, it's a complex cinema like set up. 3 PCs, 3 projectors, playback synchronisation absolutely critical. No visible commands/interaction on playback screen(s). I don't need/want a separate screen with a command line interface. All I want to do is run a .bat file and have mplayer pause immediately. I can then drop house lights, remotely open up shutters on projectors, and just hit the spacebar to start the show.

I'm using Mplayer specifically because the -udp-master / slave options work brilliantly for the playback synchronisation. Nothing else come close (without paying a lot for dedicated hardware players). In this particular case, I only have to start the -udp-master, as the first few minutes are blank on the -udp-slave videos, so I can fire them up later (with shuttered projectors). Too much detail..... sorry

I tried your example and I sort of understood what was happening. There is no need for me to worry about specifying the file name in the command line as I'm running from a .bat file. Everything can be pre-built. So I got the file to open, and pause, good so far. But I could only control it from the command line window. If I was in the playback window (as I would be in the final setup) hitting <space> to unpause playback caused the screen to lock.

I'm probably making this all too complicated. I can achieve what I want by just starting the file, and immediately hitting the spacebar manually. I was just trying to make it slicker.

Cheers

Paul