[MPlayer-users] can't play voice recordings under ubuntu

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 13 23:32:57 EEST 2019

Hi,

[Oops, hit "reply to sender" rather than "reply to list" - re-sending.
Sorry, Silvio - you'll get two copies.]

On 13/10/2019 11:11, Silvio Levy wrote:
 > ... when listening through earphones, any voice track will be
 > muted down to almost zero.
 > This is only on earphones; with builtin-speakers or external
 > speakers reproduction is normal.

Are the external speakers being plugged into the same jack as the
earphones? If not, have you tried a) the speakers in the earphone jack
and/or b) the earphones in the speaker jack? For that matter, are the
external speakers stereo or 5.1?

I'm wondering if the videos may have 5.1 (or similar "surround")
soundtracks with a dedicated "centre" channel for the dialogue, and
maybe mono voice recordings are also being routed to the same channel.
Perhaps this is being mixed down correctly, with the centre channel
added to the left & right channels, for the internal speakers and the
jack that the external speakers are plugged into (if they're stereo) but
not for the earphone jack.

Just a thought.

Stephen