[MPlayer-users] can't play voice recordings under ubuntu

stan gyvoy at q.com
Sun Oct 13 23:22:17 EEST 2019

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 09:52:39 -0700
Silvio Levy <levy at msp.org> wrote:

> But you're right - it must not be an mplayer problem; I just tried VLC
> with the same results.
>
> Still if you have any suggestions how I can debug it I'd be very
> thankful.  I'm mystified.

Nothing seems obvious.

If you have audacity installed, bring it up, and use the effect that
generates tones to generate tones around 200 and 300 hz (roughly voice
tones).  Then play them through the earbuds.  The effect should occur.
Then try some tones around 1000 and 2000 hz.  The effect shouldn't
occur.

It is unlikely to be pulseaudio or alsa, since the audio plays fine
through speakers (that is, it is coming out of both without
mangling). That leaves only the path from the motherboard to
your earbuds.  If wired, the plugin or cord. If wireless, the
driver. Is the sound device different for the earbuds than the
speakers?  It could be going bad.  Dust?  Heat?  Needs reseating?  Try
switching the earbuds to a different device?