[MPlayer-users] Recorded Audio Content Shorter Than RecordedTime

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Thu May 9 22:20:51 EEST 2019

On 2019-05-07 21:04 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 07 May 2019 at 03:28, Bill Crockett wrote:
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: <sylvain.bertrand at gmail.com>
> > Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 6:08 AM
> [...]
> > > direct ffmpeg may be more appropriate in your case.
> >
> > Do you own shares in FFmpeg?
>
> This could have been a joke, but I didn't see any smileys, so let me
> answer seriously. FFmpeg is not a publicly listed company, so the
> question makes no sense. If you're questioning the motives behind
> FFmpeg being suggested as a solution to various issues with MPlayer and
> MEncoder, don't be concerned. There are no ulterior motives here. FFmpeg
> is an actively developed codebase with many developers. MPlayer is on
> life support at best.

No need to fight about ffmpeg. It's a good idea to try different
tools, if something doesn't work as expected.

Though for this use case mplayer might even be better, but don't
take this too seriously. I just remember that I wanted to switch
some dumping scripts I had at the time from mplayer to ffmpeg and
ended up switching back to mplayer. Unfortunately I don't remember
details and I even forgot how to do dumping in ffmpeg.

Anyway regarding the question of the OP: Reimar has maybe given the
right hint already. It's probably not a good idea to send SIGHUP to
mplayer in order to have it terminate in an orderly manner.

  Alexander