[MPlayer-users] Error Tolerant reading of dvd-Track

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Thu Aug 29 18:24:16 EEST 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 07:05:23PM +1000, Miriam English wrote:
> itsme2 at women-at-work.org wrote:
> > I am trying to rip Track 3 of an old DVD but unfortunately there seem
> > to be some errors on the disk beginneng with minute 26.
> > [...]
> > Because of this errors the dump of this track stops at 00:26:24.
> > Any Ideas how tho read the DVD with error tolerance?
>
> [...good advice on polishing a DVD...]
> I'm not sure how to help there. Maybe getting the data off the DVD
> first might help. I don't know if the dd command (in Linux) can
> help. Someone else might know more.

GNU ddrescue might work better than dd in the case of a damaged data
source, e.g., a scratched DVD. Using ddrescue will probably take a lot
of time, but normal dd will stop on read errors and thus not help a lot.

Thanks,
Erik
--
Secrecy is not the same as security, and most of the time secrecy
contributes to a false feeling of security instead of to real security.