[MPlayer-users] Make a clip with subtitles?

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 15 13:27:34 EEST 2018

From: "Eli the Bearded"Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2018 9:30 AM

> What I did finally have luck in was going over all those ass options in
> your first message. With:

> if [ "X$srt" != X ] ; then
> SUB="-ass -vf ass -sub $srt"
> fi

> mplayer $START $DURATION $SUB -nosound -vo "jpeg:outdir=$outdir" "$in"

> Then at least the frames have subtitles, but now I need to build a
> subtitle parser to find the subtitles I want and rewrite them for the
> new timestamps. Doable, but a bit annoying.

My apologies for stating "-vo jpeg" will not work.  Subtitles will show with
just:

mplayer -sub sub.srt input

or

mencoder -sub sub.srt -nosound -ovc [options] -o output input

But it looks like the -vo needs the -ass option to turn on SSA/ASS subtitle
rendering.  I was testing without it, and it would not work.  The -vf ass is
not really needed unless you are using screenshots et cetera.

Hope you get it all working to how you want it.