[MPlayer-users] Make a clip with subtitles?

Eli the Bearded mplayer at eli.users.panix.com
Mon Apr 9 20:08:08 EEST 2018

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018, "Bill Crockett" <wsc4 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> mencoder -ss 4485 -endpos 20 -vf harddup -nosound -sub /var/tmp/generic.srt \
>  -ovc copy -noskip -mc 0 walk.mkv -o /tmp/folder.avi
>
> "-ovc copy" will not work.  You need to re-encode.  Stick with the avi
> container and try -ovc as:
>
> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg:autoaspect

I stuck that in my mencoder command line and had no subtitles in the
newly created short.

> have you looked at the -mf (make frames) command?

Isn't that for playing stills as a video? Not related to what I'm doing.

What I did finally have luck in was going over all those ass options in
your first message. With:

if [ "X$srt" != X ] ; then
  SUB="-ass -vf ass -sub $srt"
fi

mplayer $START $DURATION $SUB -nosound -vo "jpeg:outdir=$outdir" "$in"

Then at least the frames have subtitles, but now I need to build a
subtitle parser to find the subtitles I want and rewrite them for the
new timestamps. Doable, but a bit annoying.

Elijah