[MPlayer-users] Make a clip with subtitles?

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 9 05:39:42 EEST 2018

From: "Miriam English"
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2018 8:59 PM

> Bill Crockett wrote:
>> BTW, why did you not post this at:
> Not realising the mencoder-users list existed, I went there to join it,
> but my web browser warns that the security certificate was invalid for
> that address.
>
> So I visited the mplayerhq.hu site and took their link to the mailing
> lists and then to
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/mencoder-users
> (note the http instead of https) where it works fine and I've now
> subscribed to it as well.
>
> Incidentally, as a fairly long time lurker on this MPlayer-users list,
> many thanks to Bill Crocket for answering the question as well as sending
> to the other list. I, for one, found that very useful.
>
> I generally use ffmpeg to add subtitles to videos, either added to the
> container, or written into the actual frame images, but found it very
> interesting to see how to I might use mencoder to do it, especially with
> the color and scale controls. If "Eli the Gearded" (or anybody else)
> wants, I can post a brief example of the ffmpeg code to do this (perhaps
> offlist if it potentially derails the thread).

> I went there to join it, but my web browser warns that the
> security certificate was invalid for that address.

Yes, I got that warning at times, but went ahead and installed the security
certificate.  Of all things, I could not see mplayerhq.hu being a threat.

> Not realising the mencoder-users list existed, I went there
> to join.

I regret mentioning that link now.  Unfortunately, the MEncoder mailing list
has become a ghost town.  Hardly anyone posts questions now.  And if you do,
you probably would not get an answer.  The program has not been maintained
for many, many years.

> I can post a brief example of the ffmpeg code to do this
> (perhaps offlist if it potentially derails the thread).

I would be interested to see that.  It won't derail.  I have seen many
references to FFmpeg on the MPlayer and MEncoder mailing list.  They seem to
prod you to use FFmpeg than MEncoder.