[MPlayer-users] Make a clip with subtitles?

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sat Apr 7 13:59:13 EEST 2018

Bill Crockett wrote:
> BTW, why did you not post this at:
Not realising the mencoder-users list existed, I went there to join it,
but my web browser warns that the security certificate was invalid for
that address.

So I visited the mplayerhq.hu site and took their link to the mailing
lists and then to
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/mencoder-users
(note the http instead of https) where it works fine and I've now
subscribed to it as well.

Incidentally, as a fairly long time lurker on this MPlayer-users list,
many thanks to Bill Crocket for answering the question as well as
sending to the other list. I, for one, found that very useful.

I generally use ffmpeg to add subtitles to videos, either added to the
container, or written into the actual frame images, but found it very
interesting to see how to I might use mencoder to do it, especially with
the color and scale controls. If "Eli the Gearded" (or anybody else)
wants, I can post a brief example of the ffmpeg code to do this (perhaps
offlist if it potentially derails the thread).

- Miriam

--
What is the most important thing in the world you could be working on right now, and if you are not working on that, why aren't you?
  -- Aaron Swartz (internet genius, philanthropist)