[MPlayer-users] Can I get a few tips on DVD ripping?

Rui Correia rdscorreia74 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 11:16:00 EEST 2017

On Sep 10, 2017 00:29, "JD" <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Unix / Linux systems, best and easiest way is to rip the dvd or data cd
with one simple command:
dd if=/dev/dvd of=my.file.name.iso bs=2K

You "might" speed up the rip if you use a multiple of 2K, such as 200K.

Hi JD,

In all honesty, I just can't see how that would work. dd is a copy command
which just copies blocks of data from an in file to an out file.
A DVD is an encrypted source. If I just run a block copy on an encrypted
file I will end up with a copied file which is also encrypted.
And that's where the definition of the word 'rip' comes to the conversation.
To me, ripping has always been the process of copying and decrypting a DVD
whereas to most people it may just be the process of copying the DVD to a
file...
Besides, I use ddrescue which does something very similar to dd but helps
getting rid of the bad sectors of ARccOS copy protection mechanism.

If your system does not have /dev/dvd, create a symlink to the actual
drive. On my Fedora system I do:
sudo ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd

Ditto for /dev/cd or /dev/cdrom if one does not already exist.

Ok. But just a question: why would I need to use /dev/dvd?
I could just use /dev/sr0 instead, right?