[MPlayer-users] I know what telecine and interlacing are, but ....

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu May 15 20:11:12 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 02:30:42PM +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:
> >For anyone using NVidia however I certainly can't see why you'd want
> >to go through such a pain.
>
> Maybe true, does having nvidia h/w exempt people from mplayer
> fps=refresh issues?

I assume you mean specifically the "-framedrop required" issue?
First, that option should not be causing any issues, not even with H.264.
The answer depends a bit on the vo so here for the most common ones:

gl: The way vsync works by default it's problematic. -vo
gl:swapinterval=0 avoids it, except for the fact that it is (AFAICT)
broken with Mesa drivers. If you do not use a compositing window manager
and can't/don't enable triple buffering in the driver you might get
tearing. I.e. with the right configuration there should be no issue
with NVidia hardware.

xv, vdpau: -framedrop should not be required and there should be no
tearing. Anything else is a driver bug. I.e. no issues with NVidia.

x11: No such issue, though you might get tearing and it's generally
not good

sdl: No such issues should exist, though depending on the underlying
API you might get tearing or if it uses XVideo and that one is buggy
you might have such issues, not sure.

I guess the summary is: If your drivers aren't buggy you shouldn't
really have this issue, and NVidia drivers are not buggy in that way at
least.