[MPlayer-users] I know what telecine and interlacing are, but ....

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:30:42 CEST 2014

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 15.05.2014, at 01:35, Andy Furniss <adf.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
>>> On 5/14/14, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that mplayer doesn't have the filter and trying to
>> get it to use ffmpeg failed for me.
>
> While you're kind of right since you rely on a feature added since
> then, you do realize it sounds silly to say "MPlayer doesn't have the
> filter" when FFmpeg's is just a port of the MPlayer filter?

Fair enough, I suppose, though I did refer to interlacex2 above and
that's what I meant by "the filter".

> For anyone using NVidia however I certainly can't see why you'd want
> to go through such a pain.

Maybe true, does having nvidia h/w exempt people from mplayer
fps=refresh issues?

> VDPAU offers good deinterlacers, you can toggle them on and off as
> you like, they actually work properly for video that isn't 1080p or
> if you want to play video in a window, and unlike a TV they won't
> deinterlace things it shouldn't like OSD and subtitles. Plus it also
> works with hardware accelerated decoding, which filters don't (well,
> they can with implementations hat read back the decoded frames. The
> result often isn't faster than just decode by CPU though).

FWIW AMD also is now "up to 3" WRT deinterlacers, not sure if the new
one is in mesa releases yet. It's not perfect and I don't have nvidia to
compare.