[MPlayer-users] How to start playing files why they are still being recorded? How to stream?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Mar 5 10:13:51 CET 2014

Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos <at> ag.or.at> writes:

> Christian Jaeger <chrjae <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I now noticed that the packages was called mplayer2
> > there. I now ran "apt-get install mplayer" there, which
> > removed the mplayer2 package, and my program is working
> > fine on his system, too, now.
>
> Please understand that the version you have installed
> now is (intentionally) broken and contains many known
> issues including security relevant ones.
>
> (Or in other words: The first version you tried did not
> claim to be MPlayer, this one does but still isn't.)

This mail was apparently not well understood, so I will
try to make my point 100% clear.

Three years ago, a group of MPlayer developers (who were
also FFmpeg developers) have taken control over the
MPlayer server, have removed the access for several
people who have worked (for MPlayer) on the server
and used this control for their try to steal the FFmpeg
project. They did this without asking or even telling
(the main part of) the MPlayer developers. (Or in other
words: They are thieves.)
Since that time, those same people are spreading
different lies on different mailing lists. Among them is
the claim that MPlayer developers are breaking
compilation with avconv (this project is the result of
the failed attempt to steal FFmpeg) on purpose. To the
best of my knowledge, it is true that compilation of
MPlayer with avconv is broken on purpose, but this was
not done in MPlayer but in avconv which regularly breaks
API / ABI (and be it just to break MPlayer compilation).

Iiuc, a more current lie is that the several hundred
user-reported bugs on trac.ffmpeg.org that are fixed in
FFmpeg but still reproducible with avconv (and that of
course to some degree also affect any MPlayer binary)
do not exist. Further more, the security issues that
are fixed in FFmpeg but reproducible with avconv seem
to have vanished (sorry, I really don't understand how).

To repeat: Some security issues (that were not
reproducible with FFmpeg at the time they were reported)
that affected the so-called "MPlayer" in Debian were
reported to us by the very Debian team that seems to
believe that even completely (knowingly) unmaintained
software is "better" than MPlayer and that MPlayer
therefore has to be removed from Debian.

For more information please read the relevant Debian
threads, don't forget that Reinhard is part of above
group and that the security issue that was reported
by the Debian security team to avconv took years (!)
to be looked at.

Carl Eugen