[MPlayer-users] Flicker Black Bars on videos

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Aug 29 18:03:15 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 05:13:07PM +0200, X3fil wrote:
> Within XBMC, during playback, movie and subtitles are shown in a way they
> seems forced ontop. If I move the mouse (this happen on cli, outside from
> xbmc too), then the cursor disappear behind the movie and behind the
> subtitles (when shown). I think it has something with vdpau and framebuffer
> to do. Seems the black bars are not sent to "-vo vdpau" and so they are not
> ontop and are flickern between underlayer software (xbmc) and the the movie
> itself.

This is more complicated.
The OSD is drawn using a completely different layer of the graphics
hardware, so that it works is not surprising.
I suspect the flickering is a bug/limitation of the libvdpau-sunxi when
the output surface is larger than the (upscaled) video surface.
Looking at the code it seems to do XClearWindow.
I could imagine that the problem is that XBMC uses -wid, with the
window being the one it does OpenGL drawing into?
That would then mean that its OpenGL drawing will be fighting
with that XClearWindow, with random results on who "wins"
and is displayed.
I see no really easy solution, though XBMC probably should stop
drawing its UI when it won't be visible anyway, that certainly
is a waste of CPU and GPU power!
Or is it supposed to be visible? Then commenting out that XClearWindow
might fix it.