[MPlayer-users] ass subtitles, vo gl and amd video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Sep 23 20:06:12 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 05:37:16PM +0300, Nick Koretsky wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a weird problem on my new htpc box that uses a8 cpu build in video
> with fglrx driver - with vo gl certain ass effects cause extreme slowdowns
> up to 1-2 frames per second.

With which MPlayer version? I think there were some improvements a few
months ago.
But yes, frequently changing subtitles can be an issue.
Sometimes slightly adjusting the size of the subtitles can help,
but is a bit tricky to do.
I'll give it a try later, but I don't know if running it on a desktop
will help much.
You could try running perf record/perf report.
There is also the option of trying the OpenSource driver, which has
the advantage that you can try -vo vdpau which also provides
full-resolution subtitles but using a completely different approach
(though VDPAU still is a bit buggy on AMD, even with the latest of
everything).