[MPlayer-users] Generate image file output with mencoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Sep 4 19:18:56 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 06:42:45AM -0700, James Board wrote:
> >> No.  I know my use case.  I'm better off writing out the individual
> >> frames as they are generated with mencoder and the IRTC filter.  Is this possible
> >> (that was the original question).
> >
> >Not really, and thus you probably aren't better off with mencoder,
> >especially since mencoder might break any time and not be fixed
> >for a long time (as happened recently with audio encoding for example).
> >So it is a good question _why_ you are not using mplayer
> >or FFmpeg. Both should be able to handle this kind of thing just fine.
> >However these options should kind of work with mencoder if
> >you make sure to update first:
> >-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=png:format=rgb24 -of lavf -lavfopts format=image2
>
> If I have a static version of mencoder, and don't update, and it works for
> what I want to do, and nothing else does, then it's my only option.  Why would
> a static version of mencoder break at any time?  It can't, if I don't update the
> source.

Well, your PC might break down and you might have to switch to one that
can't run that binary (e.g. because you didn't compile with runtime
CPU detection).
Beyond that, it depends on how you define "break". In the case of
mencoder I would expect that your are not encoding the same file
to the same format over and over again, but that at least the inputs
might change. So there always is a risk you might suddenly get inputs
that do not work with the old version. Not likely if it's all something
standard like DVD, but still possible.

> The reason I don't use ffmpeg for IRTC, and I tried, is that it threw away 25 percent
> of the frames, when it should only throw away 20 percent of the frames.  I don't think
> that will be fixed anytime soon either.

It _should_ be using similar or better algorithms. So that is kind of
strange. Certainly possible, but it might be good to report.
Also I think the term is "IVTC", not "IRTC".

> The reason I'm not using mplayer is because it doesn't do IRTC.

Why would you think that, of course it does?! I could imagine some issues
since there is no -ofps option, but I don't know, it might just work.

> The command you listed doesn't do IRTC.  Can that command
> be modified so it does IRTC (filmdint)?

It wasn't meant to be a full command, you just need to add these to
your command (at the end for example).